INTERNATIONAL WOMEN"S Day, on March 8, is an occasion for women in all continents to come together to celebrate and to look back to a tradition that represents at least nine decades of struggle for equality, justice, peace and development, as is often said.
The occasion in France evokes the memories of the French Revolution, when Parisian women calling for 'liberty, equality, fraternity' marched on Versailles to demand women's suffrage.
The role of the United Nations has been to strike an international agreement to proclaim gender equality as a fundamental human right by the member nations to initiate programmes to advance the status of women worldwide.
Now, it is widely held that no enduring solution to 'society's most threatening social, economic and political problems can be found without the full participation and the full empowerment, of the world's women'.
It was only 1975, during the UN-declared International Women’s Year, that the United Nations began celebrating International Women’s Day on March 8. In 1977, the General Assembly officially adopted a resolution in which it proclaimed a United Nations Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace.
Here are some important quotes on women.
- The education and empowerment of women throughout the world cannot fail to result in a more caring, tolerant, just and peaceful life for all- Aung San Suu Kyi
- She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older - the natural sequence of an unnatural beginning- Jane Austen
- Women will not simply be mainstreamed into the polluted stream. Women are changing the stream, making it clean and green and safe for all - every gender, race, creed, sexual orientation, age, and ability- Bella Abzug
- If we mean to have heroes, statesmen and philosophers, we should have learned women- Abigail Adams
- Women's empowerment is intertwined with respect for human rights- Mahnaz Afkhami
International Women's Day: Notable Quotes
1. God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. ~ Farrah Fawcett
2. Women are the real architects of society. ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe
3. If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.~ Margaret Thatcher
4. The fastest way to change society is to mobilize the women of the world.~ Charles Malik
5. Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels. ~ Faith Whittlesey
6. Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President's spouse. I wish him well! ~ Barbara Bush
7. Women have served all these centuries as looking glasses possessing the magic and delicious power of reflecting the figure of a man at twice its natural size." ~ Virginia Woolf
8. Men who treat women as helpless and charming playthings deserve women who treat men as delightful and generous bank accounts. ~ Author Unknown
9. Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. ~ Timothy Leary
10. Follow your instincts. That's where true wisdom manifests itself. ~ Oprah Winfrey
11. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West
12. A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up - Mae West
Tags: women's day sms, international women's day quotes, womens day 2010, womens day greetings, womens day quotes, womens day messages, womens day, international womens day poems, international womens day, international womens day 2010, womans day poems, international womens day sms